I’m not sure if I mentioned this once before, but in the past few months I bought a battery powered, fully adjustable lamp. Fully adjustable in the intensity of the light in increments from 1 up to 99 for full power, and additionally, the temperature of the light can be adjusted from very cool to very warm since it has individual LED’s, half of which are warm, while the other half are cool. Each set of LED’s are adjustable for their power output to control the temperature of your subject. I originally bought it to illuminate things during night photography of the milky way, but it can be used for almost anything. Lately, I have also been involved with taking “portraits” of tree trunks, flowers and other things with a black background to highlight the subject more and create the sense of a formal portrait. So as the mind wanders with possibilities, I thought of using this newly acquired light to illuminate something from behind and incorporate the concept of the black background. In the vein of a recent shot of carrots, although not illuminated from behind, I thought another vegetable might work well as a subject for this idea. My wife bought a red onion for a recipe she was trying and had half left over, so the time was ripe to try out the idea.
For the most part, I consider myself a landscape photographer. Inspiration usually comes from being out in those landscapes, which usually revolves around trips to distant destinations throughout the US or, under certain circumstances or weather events, closer to home. For the few folks who actually follow this blog, you’ll realize that some other things have fallen in front of the camera of late. Recently, I was inspired by a friend’s photo of a small sculpture at a nearby museum for which, he moved the camera while the photograph was taken to blur the image. (Normally, I would put a link here to his website, but unfortunately, he has yet to create one so that many of us can see and enjoy his wonderful work. I’m sure he will soon).
I’ve created photographic blurs for a long time beginning over ten years ago when I got my first point and shoot digital camera. It was difficult then, because there was basically no control over shutter speeds. The best I could do was to set the camera to “fireworks” to get a little longer shutter speed. I blurred some azaleas at a nearby park, and then played with the hue sliders in Photoshop afterward to create several variations that you see at the top. Back in 2014 on my first major trip out west with my recently acquired digital DSLR, I spent quite a bit of time blurring the autumn aspens (above) in Colorado and Arizona. (See the aspen blurs here)